In the summer of 1953, a group of students from Berea College, led by 17-year-old Rev. Jim Henry, saw a need for a place of worship. The small group started a Sunday School class in a small building, once used as a chicken house, behind Dewey Rose's house.
The classes were attended by children before the suggestion was made to offer services for adults. Attendance grew and members were encouraged to find a larger place to hold prayer meetings, Sunday school and Church services. Land was given as the church continued to meet in the homes of members until they saved up enough money to complete what was the church basement where they had services on a gravel floor.
On Sunday afternoon, November 22, 1953, a small group met at the home of Bro. E.T. Cornett to discuss plans for organizing a church. There were 21 charter members who signed their names to the very first minutes of our church.
Sunday afternoon, June 27, 1954, the church was officially organized with Bro. O.B. Mylum acting as moderator. Bro. Charley Lunsford served as temporary pastor until Bro. Paul Allen was called in 1956. Brother Howard Gallimore served from 1956 to 1958 and Rev. Charles W. Byrd was ordained and began interim pastor in 1958 and served three years. Bro. Paul Prather served in 1961. Bro. Kale Conner then served from 1964 until 1968 when Bro. George Waddle took his place as WestSide's pastor. Bro. George served for 33 years, followed by Bro. Fred Cummings as an interim pastor in 2001. Bro. Jimmy Garland was ordained at WestSide and served for just over a year before Bro. Allen Livingood came to serve in 2003.
On March 26th, 2006, Westside broke ground for the new church at its present location at 699 Prince Royal Drive.